Olympic love

Friday, August 3, 2012

I have this childhood memory of being allowed to stay up to watch the opening ceremonies of the Olympics. It must have been the 1988 Seoul Olympics. I remember my parents allowed us to sleep in the living room in sleeping bags and we were woken up for the opening ceremonies or for particularly exciting parts of the games. My eight year old mind was boggled by the thought of being allowed to sleep in the living room! In a sleeping bag! On a deck chair!

There's no sleeping on a deck chair this time around but there is a great deal of 2am TV watching, and I'm loving this Olympics so far. I find myself looking forward to the evening when I can sit down and catch up on the day's events. I resist the urge to look at the results throughout the day so that I am unaware of who wins and can truly enjoy my nighttime viewing. London has pulled out all the stops and created a really incredible event. Have you seen the colorful and futuristic shooting range designed by Magma Architecture? Also, aren't the USA women's gymnastics team wearing the coolest leotards? Read more about them at Buzzfeed.

Interior design:

Another wonderful cottage was featured on Remodelista today. This time it's on the shores of Lake Huron in Canada and has the prettiest white painted floors and striped bedding. I must live there.

Check out this amazing airstream trailer makeover on Design Sponge today. Makes me want to go glamping pronto.

Food:

We don't really maintain a bar beyond a few dusty bottles in a kitchen cabinet, and perhaps a few opened ones that have been in the fridge for an embarrassingly long time. I'd like to start assembling one. Emily at Cupcakes and Cashmere has put together some helpful tips for you to build a well-stocked home bar.

If you don't want to make an alcoholic drink for your visitors then rely on this refreshing Honey Lavender Soda put together by Victoria on A Subtle Revelry today.

Fashion/style:

It's hard not to tear up when you read this beautiful post on This is Glamorous about the love story of Farrah Fawcett and Ryan O'Neal. Complete with photographs from their early years until she passed away in 2009 (in Ryan's arms) this post is sure to coax some feelings out of even the toughest of us.

Head to Design Mom to enter a jewelry giveaway from Gwen Delicious Jewelry. You could win one of two necklaces valued at over $140.

4 comments:

  1. ooh the shooting range is so cool inside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny - I have the same memory of staying up late watching the Olympics in sleeping bags and deckchairs! I wonder if your daughter will remember any events of this year's Olympics? :)
    That Farrah Fawcett story is so moving - love the pics of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm i wonder if it was the '92 olympics then, in Barcelona? But that would have only been an hour off in a different time zone so it must have been Seoul.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, I love your feedback!

 

the curator © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger