Sans phone

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I have been existing without a phone since Saturday night.

You may now commence with the shock and horror.

My iphone died when I tried to upgrade to the new operating system. I think my overeager photo-taking may have killed it. The strange thing is, apart from the general annoyance over not being able to text my sisters in far flung countries (Cambodia/England), and my husband on the way home from work (pick up corn on the cob!), and not being able to instagram that perfect sliver of moon over Manhattan on Sunday night (it was like a silver sickle hanging in the sky), I'm not doing too badly. Don't get me wrong, I'll be in withdrawal soon enough and it's killing me that we had a day of perfect blue sky and fluffy clouds and I didn't get to instagram it, but it is nice to take a break from the incessant phone checking. Hopefully I'll be back in business tomorrow :) Genius Bar at the Apple store, I'm coming for you!

Food:

Are you ready for pumpkin in your diet yet? Maria and Josh at Two Peas and Their Pod have made me a believer with these brown butter pumpkin cupcakes with salted caramel frosting today. I mean, seriously? Who could resist those? We're going apple picking next weekend and those might be the perfect treat after a few hours of tree climbing.

And lest you think pumpkin should only be confined to desserts, check out this incredible looking savory version from Cassie at Bake Your Day. Looks like we're having pumpkin pasta with Parmesan and sage tomorrow night for dinner.

Another sumptuous post from Mimi over at Manger on chocolate swirl meringues - this post has inspired me to tackle my meringue issues once and for all. I will succeed at this dessert!

Interior design:

Jenny at Little Green Notebook is hosting a wonderful giveaway of $100 to spend at L&S Fabrics. You just have to tell her what you'd put that $100 towards and you're entered to win. I'd love to win cause we need to put up a curtain over the french door linking our two bedrooms.

I think I've seen some of the insane images from this Scandinavian home on Pinterest already but it bears another look on SF Girl by Bay. It's so white and dreamy and just when you're getting carried away with the white furniture and floors, there is a pop of color or quirky element that ties it all back down to earth.

This isn't really an interior design post, but a recommendation to read a book that evokes the rustic beauty and simplicity of cabin life. Apartment Therapy recommends The River Why by David James Duncan. It isn't one I've checked out before, but seems like it would a perfect autumn read.

Fashion:

This is one of those giveaways that I debated not telling you about. It's from the lovely James at Bleubird and it's a big one. You could win $200 to spend at the lovely online clothing and accessories store Lulu's. Just tell James what you'd spend it on (I'd pick up a pair of leaf-kicking, apple-picking boots) and you're entered to win.


Lexington Avenue was taken over for the 92nd St Y festival on Sunday. Who goes to a street fair and comes home with an oriental carpet? We did.


5 comments:

  1. the sound of those cupcakes. BLOWS MY MIND. i hope your phone gets back up soon! it's such a weird, naked feeling to be without one. and then as soon as i start to enjoy it i get it back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm heading to the apple store now!

      Delete
  2. O_o pic of the oriental carpet please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You neglect to mention the phone is quite handy for taking vids of the little ones. But I suppose that's one and the same with texting your sisters. :) I want to see the rug too! Where are you putting it?? -Posted from my iPhone. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I love your feedback!

 

the curator © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger